Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Manchester United without mammoth pay-off

November 22, 2022


Cristiano Ronaldo did not have his contract paid up as part of his agreement to leave Manchester United, sources have told 90min.

The 37-year-old was informed last week that he would not play for the club again following his interview with Piers Morgan on TalkTV – in which he openly criticised the club’s owners, manager and structure.

United were left furious by his actions, confirmed by 90min, and instructed their lawyers to asses whether they could sue him for breach of contract. Their intention was to rip up his deal following the interview and such brutal, open criticism.

However, following talks, the two sides have agreed a mutual parting of the ways. Ronaldo did still have seven months left on a huge contact which was worth nearly £15m – but the 37-year-old has agreed not to take the money.

90min is told that United have had to part with a ‘minimal’ amount to faciliate the ending of the deal – but Ronaldo is walking away without a substantial pay-off of any sort – which both parties were keen to confirm.

Throughout the saga Ronaldo always insisted that the club’s fans were the most important part of the club to him, and although not happy with his actions, many will be pleased with the outcome that they have parted on relatively smooth terms given what the potential fall out could have been.

Ronaldo’s own statement on his departure read: “Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early. I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.

“I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”